This eclectic two day Interiors sale on 6 & 7 July, offers some intriguing items in interesting collector’s categories. The sale includes sections of ceramics and glass, works of art, furniture, rugs and carpets, as well some items for the garden. Alongside these, Day One also includes some wider categories such as Country Sporting and items of Decorative Arts Since 1860.
From the Decorative Arts since 1860 category on Day One, we are pleased to offer five lots of Wedgwood Fairyland Lustre, each with striking designs by Daisy Makeig-Jones.
Susannah Margaretta "Daisy" Makeig-Jones was a pottery designer for Wedgwood. She is best known for her "Fairyland Lustre" series. Makeig-Jones first joined Wedgwood as an apprentice painter in 1909. From its inception in 1915 the Fairyland Lustre line proved immensely popular and especially so across the Atlantic during the ‘Roaring 20s’. The line was discontinued in 1929 following a change in fashion where the fairyland lustre range had grown less popular, and Makeig-Jones left the firm in 1931. Today items decorated with her designs are highly sought after and collectable.
Lot 103 is a bowl strikingly decorated with elements of two of Makeig-Jones’ designs. It features an interior decorated in the Woodland Elves I pattern, and the exterior in Woodland Elves V pattern.
We are also pleased to have a number of items of Lalique glassware, most impressive is Lot 100 a green stained glass clock, with a captive wind eight day timepiece movement, dating from after 1932.
Also included on Day One is our Country Sporting section. We are excited to be offering from a private Wantage Collection, Lot 204, a pair of 12-bore self-opening sidelock ejector shotguns by renowned gun firm J. Purdey & Sons. Bearing consecutive serial numbers 15342 & 15343, they also showcase beautiful and intricate engravings with the rose and scroll design by Thomas Sanders. They come together with a brass cornered, leather clad and oak lined gun case, the lid of which is also applied with a Purdey Label.
The firm of James Purdey & Sons has operated from their current address in South Audley Street since their move from the address at 314 1/2 Oxford Street in 1882. In 2014 the company celebrated its bicentennial.
The makers have kindly confirmed to us that these guns were completed in July 1896 for a Captain Darby Griffith. They note these were originally supplied with 30inch barrels but shortened to 29 inches circa 1923. By 1923 these guns were in the possession of a Dr. E. T. Fisher. The 'Captain Darby Griffith' mentioned in the Purdey records is presumed to be Captain Christopher William Darby-Griffith JP who, as noted by The London Gazette, retired as a Captain from the Grenadier Guards on 11th November 1896. He came from a prominent military family, his Grandfather was Major-General Matthew Chitty Darby Griffith of Padworth House, Berkshire.
Interiors, Day One
Monday 6 July | 10.30am
Donnington Priory, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2JE
This is an online auction with auctioneer.
View online catalogue
View page turning catalogue
Sign up for auction alerts and our monthly newsletter to receive expert analysis and insights from our specialists and keep up-to-date on forthcoming auctions, valuation days and previews.